If you’re thinking of creating an online dating site or are curious about what exactly in the web design makes them so appealing to singles, then we’ve got you covered. Web design is super important and getting even more so. It uses psychology, art, and technology combined to produce a website that flows in a way that users are bound to want to check it out.
If you’re single and desire to enter the online dating world and require to understand why the design of the sites is the way it is, or if you’re a lonely programmer who hopes to make his own flawless dating service and also find love, this article is for you.
What People Expect from a Dating Site
If you’re looking to learn how to find a girlfriend online and end up on a dating site, you probably have certain expectations from it. You know that the site won’t be somber and mechanical, won’t appear too dark or complicated.
You’re probably expecting that the online dating service will have a lot of features available which will be easy to find and utilize. You ought to figure out instantly how to sign up or sign in, how to search for other singles, create a perfect dating profile, communicate with other members, and even get help when needed.
Everything has to be a couple of clicks away, and the website should be inviting, calming, lovely. It shouldn’t scare potential customers away. And, especially if it’s targeted at the older generation, it needs to be built for those who are not very tech-savvy. It should be flawless, natural, intuitive.
Trends Applied in the Web Design of Dating Sites
As it goes with trends in general, many web design trends can coexist at the same time. If you can find the ones that go well and complement one another, your dating site will be great.
While trends have changed slightly over the years, there are some fundamental principles to designing a dating site that are always up to date:
- Minimalism and simplicity – a website that is too crowded will look like it is coming down on users and make them feel anxious, boxed in, and desperate to get out. You have to simplify everything and stick to the basics. If you can make it work with less, everything will be better. Here, less really is more.
- Web animation and depth effect – recall the principle above, but add some zing to it. Animations and video are the most important tools we have, as it’s been proven that people now have a shorter attention span. Animations and video are the only things that keep people’s attention for longer, more so than classic photographs. If you use the depth effect correctly, you can draw the users’ eyes to the things you think they must focus on.
- Calm, harmonious colors – they’ve come here to relax, to find a partner, to chat and flirt, and maybe find love and marriage. You need to get them to be relaxed and zen and in the right mindset to get to know singles and make meaningful connections. Oftentimes dating sites use a white background to portray this, but generally, light, pastel colors should work fine.
- 3D objects and illustrations – similar to the animations and depth effect, 3D objects and illustrations have the power to draw attention to what you desire to emphasize. They make using the website a lot more straightforward and fast. Users will know instantaneously where to search and what to do.
- Shadows, gradient, blur – while they might not seem like much and you could think they won’t make a difference, shadows, gradients, and blurs will take your website to the next level. You must keep in mind that you have to use them carefully and with good measure and not go overboard and transform your lovely dating website into a circus act.
- Extended scrolling – providing an opportunity not only to scroll the page in the usual way, but also to interact with the interface. With a mouse click during advanced scrolling, you can open fields with additional information about dating services, read answers to FAQs, go from one registration point to another, etc. Such scrolling allows you to maintain a minimalistic appearance of the site, while all the information of interest is still in quick access on the same page, available in one click.
- Information in the form of tiles/cards – looks concise yet functional, and is often used to showcase profiles of other dating site users, reviews, and tips for a great user experience.
Focus on a Simple User Interface As Well
As minimalism is key, so is simplicity in all aspects. The simpler the user interface is, the more likely you are to get more customers to your dating service. Every feature should be easy to find but not all crowded in the same place. Make sure that everything is neat and organized and would please even people who are very typical and obsessed with having everything be clean and in its place. All the main functions of the site must be understandable for use by a dating seeker of any age and professional skills.
Web design can be complicated if you make it so. When you’re building a new online dating website or any website for that matter, you have to focus on the basics. Put yourself in the users’ shoes and think about the aesthetics and design of the website and how you would love for it to act and move.
If you realize that you value speed and ease of access above everything else, you must take the necessary measures to fix any issues that may arise.
If you crave a sense of tranquillity and peace of mind when entering a dating website, use the appropriate colors and images.
If you desire to jump straight to the sign in or sign up and then see user profiles of singles from the get-go, do that.
Everything that you can picture and feel that you desire when it comes to an online dating website, you can do it. After all, websites need to be built with the end-user in mind.